Re: on firmware and freedom

Hmm, note to self: mutt doesn't send the Subject: header to ispell...

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:01:51AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Rather than contributing directly to the current discussion on what types
> of bitstreams we should or not not apply our definition of "Free Software"
> to, I thought I'd share my personal view on the reasons why would bother to
                                                             ^
                                                             we

> ask for free firmware in the first place, and what message I think we would
> send if we cease demanding it.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

***

Serendipitously, under Steve's proposed GR, the following might not ever have
been necessary:

Package: freedoom
Section: games
Installed-Size: 17940
Maintainer: Debian Games Group <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.4.1-1
Provides: doom-wad
Recommends: prboom | doom-engine
Filename: pool/main/f/freedoom/freedoom_0.4.1-1_all.deb
Size: 6785602
MD5sum: 379a9502196d19329271e5191faba110
SHA1: 89d76bd2d8dd1d6c668f529913cb1032199572a6
SHA256: 0e0736728e19e29879aff7dd81e19f8b0e1fc4fd052c089d5ceb06a694329342
 Freedoom is a project to create a complete Doom II-compatible IWAD file
 which is Free Software.
 .
 The IWAD file is the file used by Doom which contains all the game data
 (graphics, sound effects, music, etc.). While the Doom source code is
 Free, you currently still need one of the proprietary IWAD files from id
 in order to play Doom. Freedoom aims to create a Free alternative.
 .
 Combined with the GPL-licensed Doom source code this will result in a
 complete Free Doom-based game.
Tag: game::arcade, interface::x11, role::content:data, use::gameplaying, x11::application

...as we could just distribute the original proprietary WAD files by iD
software in main.

Would someone like to ITP them? :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory