Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

"Anthony Towns" <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote in message [🔎] 20060823140553.GA15284@azure.humbug.org.au">news:[🔎] 20060823140553.GA15284@azure.humbug.org.au...

The middle one's the one of interest, it's expressed in the first point
of the social contract as:

   "We will never make the system require the use of a non-free
    component."

(For reference, that replaced the following text from v1.0 of the social
contract:

   "[...] we will never make the system depend on an item of non-free
    software."
)

[blink]!

Clearly we cannot possibly be upholding that statement. There is simply no computer of fully free hardware and software. Even if there were, I'm betting Debian would require
extensive modifications to run on it.

That was clearly a poor change of wording, although it was likely not noticed because nobody was thinking
gardware when they read that.

IANADD. IANAL.