Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

In linux.debian.vote Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:24:16PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:32:46PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>> > Well, the only one who could claim that his views have some representativity
>> > of the project as a whole is you, everyone else is just expressing his own
>> > opinion, be he a DD or a guy from NM or some random poster.
>> Anyone can claim their views are representative of the project, and
>> everyone -- including myself -- would be wrong to do so.
>So, why do you denigrate Peter in such a way ? What you said could apply as
>well to you, no ?
Why do you believe that remarking that somebody is not a debian
developer is "denigration"?
I think aj's post was very appropriate, considering how many
non-developers like to explain to us what the DFSG "really means".

>If we where really going to argue this, we could just as well stop shiping
>debian, since there is no way to actually make use of any of the content we
>ship without some piece of non-free firmware, the first of it being the
>non-free bios you use on your system.
Unpleasant consequences are not a very good way of refuting a logically
sound argument.

--
ciao,
Marco