Re: Help

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 06:10, Dawn Russo wrote:
> I am receiving emails advertising watches. There is no "unsubscribe"
> information. But when I highlight the bottom of the page it shows a partial
> address to email if you would like to unsubscribe, the email address is
> @lists.debian.org. However since it isn't complete, I can't send a message.
>
> PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM ANY MAILING LISTS THAT YOU MAY HAVE MY NAME ON
> OR THE FOLLOWING EMAIL ADDRESS: dawnluberto@hotmail.com.
>
> I DO NOT WANT TO BUY A WATCH. STOP HARRASSING ME.

Please do some basic research.  You do not do your professional or personal
reputation, or the reputation of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society any
credit by screaming and complaining about things that you do not seem to
fully understand and that we cannot fix.

1) Debian does not sell watches (or any other product).

2) Debian has no interest in selling you a watch.

3) Typing in all capitals is screaming and generally considered, at best,
about as professional as a six-year-old throwing a temper-tantrum.

You might want to see http://debian.org/ for what Debian is actually about,
and learn how to trace back an email to it's source based on headers
(http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html), since spammers always forge
their email addresses to avoid prosecution and delay getting shut down by
their ISPs for violating their terms of service.  Most ISPs prohibit
spamming.

> Dawn Russo
> Dawn Russo, MSW
> Home LINKS Program Manager
> National Multiple Sclerosis Society
> Central New England Chapter
> 101A First Avenue, Suite 6
> Waltham, MA 02451
> 800-493-9255 ext 155
> dawn.russo@mam.nmss.org
> Information provided by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society is based
> upon professional advice, published experience and expert opinion.
> Information provided in response to questions does not constitute
> therapeutic recommendations or prescriptions. The National Multiple
> Sclerosis Society recommends that all questions and information be
> discussed with a personal physician. Studies show that early and ongoing
> treatment with an FDA-approved therapy can reduce future disease activity
> and improve quality of life for many people with multiple sclerosis. Talk
> to your health care professional and contact the National MS Society at
> www.nationalmssociety.org or 1-800-FIGHT-MS to learn about ways to help
> manage multiple sclerosis and about current research that may one day
> reveal a cure.

Long, grandious, bandwidth-wasting signatures like this one do nothing to
increase awareness and serve only to annoy and waste bandwidth when extended
past four lines.  Check this out:  http://ursine.ca/McQuary_limit .  If you
have a useful message, your signature isn't the place for it, that's what the
body of your message is for, otherwise it's almost as bad as spamming is.  I
would hope for the sake of MS patients that being self-interested and
obnoxious really isn't how you conduct yourself and your org in person or on
the internet.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://jabber.ursine.ca/