Re: irc.debian.org

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> astronut@dlgeek.net wrote:
>

>> I agree with Steve. While I agree that freenode has many flaws (the
>> biggest being NOIDPRIVMSG), I find that while I am in Debian channels on
>>
> Exactly, why is an optional feature such a big flaw?

Because it's the default and practically no one changes it. This is a
big problem, because on a network that offers so many support channels,
you have a lot of users who are on only to get a question answered (Foo
isn't working, what am I doing wrong?). These users have no desire, nor
real reason to register a nick. Also, there are lots of times I have
been disconnected, and not noticed I wasn't ID'd. I have sent people
messages, and only hours later realized that they weren't received
because I wasn't re-ID'd.
> I think it would also be useful to know about those other issues you are
> thinking about
I think the wallops are much more frequent than need be, which is very
distracting. I have also seen that sometimes (not usually), the staff
could be more friendly and less holier-than-though. However, this is not
frequent, the rudeness just sticks out in my mind. Most of the time,
I've found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

You may also want to ask some of the DD's who refuse to use freenode
anymore. Some of them have very detailed gripes that might be able to be
addressed. Off the top of my head, I know that dillinger made an
extensive blog entry about it when he left that was syndicated on planet.

HTH,
Benjamin