Re: irc.debian.org

"Don Armstrong" <don@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] 20060430195022.GK3102@volo.donarmstrong.com">news:[🔎] 20060430195022.GK3102@volo.donarmstrong.com...
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Steve McIntyre wrote:
I've heard it suggested by a variety of people that we should move the
official irc.debian.org alias away from freenode to oftc. I can see
that more and more of my own Debian IRC discussions are on oftc, to
the extent that I'm (currently) not on any freenode channels at
all.

On another front, oftc is also a sister org under the SPI
umbrella.

Thoughts?

The only mitigating factor in my mind is that #debian on FN is many
times bigger than #debian on OFTC, and the people who join because
their IRC client points them at irc.debian.org/#debian (the default in
many cases) will join.

Beyond that, I don't really have an opinion either way.

If the move is done, the FN channels should be kept open
and the topic should redirect users to OFTC.
Then any packages that reference the FN channel should be
updated.
Otherwise there would be split between the networks.