Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

[dropped -i18n from Cc, not really relevant there]

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 03:26:45AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 08:58:57AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > The problem is more one of 'how do we identify those people that aren't
> > a Developer, but that do contribute regularly'. Since Debian votes are
> > conducted through GPG-signed mails and regular contributors aren't part
> > of the Debian web of trust, this is more than a convenience issue. Note
> > that Debian Developers without an active key in the keyring can't vote,
> > either.
> >
> > If you have a fix for that problem, I don't see why we shouldn't support
> > it.
> >
> Hi Wouter,
> the Debian web of trust is very important to things that directly affect
> things like: uploading packages, access to servers, etc. But if there
> was a vote on say 'should debian create a new irc channel for mutt
> users' or 'what applications should be translated first for the urdu
> desktop?' or 'what is the number one thing that debian users want for
> etch?'

(neither of which sounds like something that would need a vote, rather,
just someone who feels like doing the work)

> Then would a user need to be in the Debian web of trust to affect
> those issues?

They don't need to be in the web of trust to affect those issues. They
can just step in and do something.

However, the point I was trying to make is that people who don't have a
GPG key in the Debian keyring currently can't vote, because of a)
technical issues (no gpg key in the keyring means you're not eligible to
vote, even if you *are* a DD), and b) there is no clear-cut and
objective criteria currently to identify those people who do make
regular contributions without being a developer.

Put differently, here are a number of questions you should answer for
this to have merit:
* What should a non-DD contributor be doing before we consider him/her
  eligible to vote?
* How should we link their key to their identity, so that we *know* a
  given key belongs to some non-DD contributor? For DDs, we know because
  we've seen their uploads. For contributors, we don't see their
  uploads, so we can only know through key signing, which is a weaker
  criterion (unless they sign their contributions with their GPG key).
* Should non-DD contributors be allowed to vote on just about anything?
  If not, what types of votes should they be allowed to vote on, and
  what types of votes should they not be allowed to vote on? Make this a
  clear rule, so that you can apply it to any possible and impossible
  thing we might have an idea about voting on.
* Should non-DD contributors be allowed to propose General Resolutions?
* Should non-DD contributors be allowed to nominate themselves as DPL?

> What would be required, short of joining the web of trust?

Hope that answers it,

--
Fun will now commence