Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

Hi,

Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 02:55:37AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> <snip>
> It just dawned upon me that it would be great to have unofficial votes
> by non-debian-developers as a way to gage the broader debian communites
> reponse to things. If debian is committed to its end users, a vote which
> shows their views would be a way to gage it. I am aware that there are
> things that should not be designed by a community where techical
> or security decisions are concerned but it would be a great feedback
> tool to see if folks think that debian is moving in a good directions.

Actually, I think that's a really interesting idea.  I wonder what the
difference would be in the voting choices of Debian developers compared with
Debian contributers who aren't developers, compared with Debian users.

I guess that if the first two categories of people were voting in the same ways,
one could claim that the voting system is working, in that the vote is
representing the views of those who work on Debian.   (What level of importance
we should place on the collective viewpoint of those who use Debian but don't
contribute to it, for things like the DPL elections, is also an interesting
question).

Would it be technically feasible to set up a parallel voting process for
non-developers, to get an idea of to what extent the DD vote matches the wider
vote?  How would we ensure, within reason, that people couldn't rig the system
too badly?

Helen