Re: buildd and experimental

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:04:17AM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:

> I understand that different mail systems do different things (although I
> hope you're not using qmail[0]).

Not on my desktop, but I have no control over the institute's central
services.

> However, the code of conduct seems to
> point out that one should not Cc someone unless they specifically ask
> for it (a guideline that you neglected to follow, after I pointed this
> out to Mr. Bushnell).

Frankly, I never check the recipient list when I press "g" in mutt. I
assume that if you do not want to be CC'ed, then you can set up

> But since some new or one-time posters may not
> realize this (and want to be Cc'd anyway), this provides a heuristic to
> guess if someone is actually subscribed, nothing more.

Assuming that a new poster will find and decipher the cryptic contents
of a non-standard e-mail header (that is even likely to be overwritten
if there are several spam filters in the delivery chain) is completely
unrealistic. The only sensible default is to assume that if there is a
specific requirement for the reply, then the Reply-To: header will be
set up accordingly (either automatically, or by the user who has the
requirement).

> If you are unsure, you could simply not Cc someone unless they ask.

The problem is, every project has different requirements for its mailing
lists. Right now I'm subscibed to about 20 lists only, but I'm sure
as hell can not remember the policy for each of them. So if you'd like
people to follow a specific policy, then tell that to their MUA by
setting Reply-To:. After all, we have computers to do some work instead
of us, not the other way around...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences