Re: Honesty in Debian (was Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Sven Luther wrote:
> Nope, but i think those who try to hide the issue of non-free material in
> main, by insisting that it is not software

Fonts or documentations are not softwares, for god's sake!

> I want to remind you all, that previous to the two GRs which clarified the
> meaning of what we must consider free

.. what we must consider free *software*

> For the rest of the stuff, just put it in non-free, and maybe modify how we
> handle non-free, classifying it in non-free-but-distributable and
> non-free-with-distributions-constraints, and making its use easy, especially
> at the installer level for kernel firmware

Good idea. I wish all users could install Debian on their
exotic-firmware-enabled-network card and wifi-aware laptop (which is not
the case currently) instead of saying "shit, this crap is just not working
well. let's switch to gentoo or mandriva"

But I still consider documentation different than softwares, and don't see
any major problem regarding the FDL.