Re: Honesty in Debian (was Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> writes:
>> However, there is also a dishonest way.  That is to leave the Social
>> Contract claiming that everything in Debian is free (or "free software",
>> doesn't matter) according to the DFSG, but then to go ahead and put
>> DFSG-non-free stuff into Debian.  And that is just not right.
>
> I don't believe anyone has ever honestly felt misled by the Social Contract
> after finding out he couldn't reuse all of the license texts in Debian.

Exactly.  The typical Debian user is, I think, far less pedantic and
anal about things that the typical debian developer (though often
sharing the same broad goals).

Users may value DD pedantry in many cases where it benefits them in some
palpable way, but I have no sense that this is usually the case with
regards to the GFDL.

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Gandhi