Re: Linux Forums

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 12:12 +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I disagree that having more web based discussion forums for Debian is
> necessarily a good idea. The more forums you have, to more dispersed the
> people discussing Debian online are, and the more work it is for people
> to follow all the relevant places where discussion happens. As a result,
> the chance of knowledgeable answers goes down. This helps no-one. It's
> better to have a few well-run forums than a large number of mediocre
> ones.

This is close to off-topic, but here goes anyway:

I've always wondered why these so-called forums are perceived as
something different than a mailing list or a news group. I've never been
able to wrap my head around why they aren't just web-based clients for
reading a set of mailing lists or news groups.

Does someone know of a good web-based $thing that could act as a
front-end to lists and/or newsgroups, that we could use to allow people
to participate in the Debian fora (== mailing lists) without having to
use more than a web browser?

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>