Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:20:33AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 07:08:38PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > I keep hearing this, but I really don't believe it.  In Debian, "Maintainer"
> > means "An individual or group of people primarily responsible for the
> > on-going well being of a package".  As I understand it, in Ubuntu, the MOTUs
> > have responsibility for all of the packages in Universe.
>
> In practice, it doesn't work out to mean the same thing, however.  Most of
> the packages in universe are maintained only by the Debian maintainer, and

The thing is not exactly like that though, what really happens is that you
simply rebuild those packages and upload them to universe, without even asking
the debian maintainers, which is exactly the reason for this long thread,
since some object to getting bug reports for the ubuntu builds of their
packages.

I believe that altough in most case there is not much difference there may be
subtle differences between the ubuntu environment and the debian one, which
makes the handlign of bug reports non-evident. Also a pure debian maintainer
will have some trouble checking and testing any possible fix, not having a
ubuntu install done.

Friendly,

Sven Luther