Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 09:58 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > What I find very dissapointing is that mdz asked on debian-devel twice
> > for a decision from debian how ubuntu should handle the maintainer Field
> > without any luck:
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/01/msg00678.html
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00260.html
>
> That's probably because different maintainers will have different opinions
> on this matter.
>
> > packages just imported from Debian? Or can we live with an less
> > intrusive approach?
>
> IMHO a "if, and only if we modify it, we upload it with our name in
> changelog and uploaders field" rule would be quite a good compromise.  But
> that's my personal opinion, of course.

"Modify" is a tricky word. Most of my packages go into Ubuntu
unmodified, in that the diff.gz is the same. However, they use an
entirely different infrastructure -- new minor GTK and Python versions.

Since binary-level compatibility is not a goal of Ubuntu (nor IMO should
it be; down that path lies madness), they modify every package in a very
important sense.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>