Re: Debian etch

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 07:02:08PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > "lewd" or just "pornographic". Maybe you should rename this release or
> > at least the japanese version...

That's the edict translation. The problem with edict is that it's
crap, and kinda outdated in places. Imagine a random mixture of
wordnet and web1913, that would be similar.

If it's coming from a girl who's screaming and throwing stuff at you,
it might be a reasonable translation; in general, no. The correct
translation of 'etchi' is roughly 'of or relating to sex', neither
more nor less. As a noun it refers to the act itself. As a description
of a person it's roughly 'promiscuous'. It is childish but otherwise
neutral in tone; any positive or negative implications must be picked
up from context.

> I believe this is normally spelled "ecchi" when written in English
> (although I see that "etchi" is an alternative spelling).

'etchi' is the correct Hepburn transliteration. 'etti' is the correct
kunrei form. 'ecchi' is western anime fanboys, it's not Japanese at
all.

Anyway, it's a different word. 'etch' is not a valid word in Japanese;
they don't have the right sounds for it in their language. While it
would be strictly legal to use 'ecchi' as the pronunciation, there are
better choices, and nobody is going to be doing that unless they're
just being an arsehole - in which case you aren't going to stop
them.

I don't think there's really anything to see here. If we'd called it
"et'chy" (English doesn't have geminated stops - that's a pause in
there, like a glottal stop) then there might be, but we didn't.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |