Re: Debian Weekly News - November 28th, 2006

Hans-Georg Bork <hgb@hgbhome.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 10:14 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > [...] It is fairly important for the introduction
> > of Debian Weekly News to explain why it is no longer Weekly.
>
> To get that, just check out the link under [2] in the latest issue of
> DWN (released Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:05:03 +0100 (CET))

I'm not sure which was [2] in the version you read, but that sounds
like firing up a web browser and visiting another site, rather than a
short explanation *in* the introduction.  Joey funded a lot of DWN
work, so has quite some control, and few complained about it until he
was demotivated by money.  So, each edition's leader includes passing
mentions of why the Weekly isn't weekly any more.

As news reporting, it would be fair for DWN to point out all negative
effects of dunc-tank - which are going to last long after the end of
their funding - and I think Joey has been quite restrained, given his
strong views on it.  Personally, I'd like to see DWN point out more
things that have fallen off due to Dunc-Tank, ready for the
evaluation.  Dunc-tank's supporters have steadfastly refused to tell
how they think we can measure whether or not the so-called experiment
has been successful.  I expect much hand-waving in the coming months
and I hope that the debian media will help scrutinise the DPL on this.

Do people have a problem with how funding can be used to control the
project from half-outside the community at the minute? If so, take it
up with debian-release and dunc-tank...

Regards,
--
MJR/slef