Re: Use of tokens for access to Debian resources?

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 08:10:40PM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 10:58:38PM +0000, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> > I don't see what's so wrong with a smart card or so.  GnuPG cards do
> > exist already, and is it so much to need a card reader?  If the
> > project is shelling out the money anyway they could easily include the
> > card readers too.
>
> Cards are very portable, card readers much less so.

Sorry, that's not correct; if you can carry a USB flash thing, you can
carry a USB smartcard reader. See
http://www.gemplus.com/products/gempckey/ for one example of such a
device (which is even marketed as supported under 'DEBIAN "Sarge"'(sic),
so there). Note that those small readers do require the GSM-style mini
smartcards, not the creditcard-sized regular smartcard; but the
technology behind the two is the same anyway.

Not that I'm convinced that requiring particular bits of hardware is
going to add /that/ much to our security, but that's a different
matter...

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22