Re: Proposal: Handling of changelog bug closures in Debian derived distros

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 08:11:01AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
>  * Using a different "Closes:" name, which just sidetracks the issue
>    if every derivative have to use a different name, this does not
>    scale. (Example: Maemo uses "Fixes:" instead of "Closes:" [1],
>    and there's a proposal in Ubuntu to do something similar with
>    a different name[3]).

FTR, the syntax agreed upon for Launchpad (and thus Ubuntu) is:

LP: #xxx

which is not arbitrary or ambiguous like fixes vs. closes.

> [...]
> which are wrong, ugly or may need a central registration place to avoid
> collisions either in the mnemonic or the "alternative" closure syntax.
> Probably the cleanest one is the "Closes Ubuntu:" approach.

I don't see a problem with the approach we've chosen for Launchpad (which
will also cover several Ubuntu derivatives).

Likewise, I think that qualifying it with the distribution name is perfectly
OK; that's already unique enough.

> So I'd propose to extend the changelog format to add an optional origin
> field in the header, then that information will be preserved after the
> upload. Something like this:
>
> foo (1.0-2naibed2) quux; urgency=low, origin=naibed
> [...]

I think this is a fine idea, though orthogonal to what we're doing with
Launchpad references in changelogs.

> That origin could be matched against /etc/dpkg/origins. I'm attaching a
> PoC patch with those change to dpkg. Probably we'd not want to output the
> Origin field in the default mode (assuming Debian or local), instead of
> the current implementation which outputs "Origin: debian".  So comments
> and other proposals welcome!

I didn't see the patch, but bear in mind that it's not unusual to upload a
package to Debian from an Ubuntu system or vice versa.

--
 - mdz