towards consensus

In the course of the debates about the value of the funding experiment,
someone made a comment about what consensus actually means.  I hadn't
thought about it that way before (possibly evidence of poor education),
so I thought I'd lift it up so the meme can infect everyone else too.

I had been confusing consensus for unanimity, striving to find a
solution that everyone agrees to be a good idea or their preferred
option.

However in the comment this writer pointed out that consensus, on the
contrary, is when we find a solution that we all agree we can live with,
even if we don't particularly think it's a great idea.

I guess the implication is that it involves compromise, where everyone
sacrifices a little from their preferred solution in order to end up
with one that they can live with or tolerate.

Apologies if this was bleeding obvious to you all.

Drew