Re: Position Statement to the Dunc-Tanc "experiment"

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 07:46:00PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> that to be a major change to the Debian project culture: For the first
> time Debian Developers are paid for their work on Debian by a
> institution so near to the project itself.

This is completely and blatantly false!  The only thing that's
different this time is the prominence of the developers involved
relative to the prominence of the institution, and the amount of
publicity that has ensued.  (And, unlike _some_, but not all, previous
cases, the initial goal of the institution is to improve Debian rather
than to fork it.  And in at least one earlier case, the goal changed
from forking to improving after the initial fork proved unsuccessful.)

Unless you want to try to audit every Debian developer, you simply
cannot make blanket statements about how and when developers are paid
to work on Debian, and by whom.  (And such an audit would be illegal
and unethical in any country I know of, and might not yield the
relevant details in any case.)

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single