Debian CGL registration

As you may have already seen on slashdot[1]. Debian Sarge has been
registered against OSDL's CGL 2.0.2 specification as a CGL
distribution[2]. Debian has the distinction of being the only freely
available CGL distribution.

First off, we would like apologize to the project for not sending out
an announcement to developers sooner.  We'd planned to send this out
about two weeks before DebConf, but we got distracted by the details
of what list to send it to, what should be in place first, etc,
and apparently just dropped the ball.

So, what exactly *has* been done? From a technical perspective,
very little. What HP has done is to fund a CGL registration of
Sarge as-is. In other words, no modifications to Sarge were made for
this registration.  Registration does not imply 100% compliance; in
fact, Sarge is not 100% CGL-compliant.  As such, this registration
process also doubled as a way to perform a gap analysis and see where
Sarge falls short, and what we would need to do to make future
releases compliant, should this become a project goal.

The primary goal of registering Debian with CGL is to have a
completely open and community managed base for developing CGL
features. We would like to see if there's sufficient interest to
create a Debian-CGL subproject. Ideally this would result in a
fully integrated CDD (Custom Debian Distribution), but might
start out with a backports archive on top of sarge that would increase
its level of CGL-compliance.

We really would like Debian releases to continue to be registered as
CGL distributions, and we welcome anyone that wants to help.  We
started a wiki[1] for this project a couple of months ago. We do not
yet have a dedicated mailing list for this project (chicken/egg), but
for now any CDD-related discussions should happen on -custom. If
there's enough interest in this subproject, we'll ask
the listmasters to create a dedicated list for discussions. We have
also created a #debian-cgl channel on OFTC.

Again sorry for the late notice.

[1] http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/05/1713247
[2] http://osdl.org/lab_activities/carrier_grade_linux/registration.html
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/Debian-CGL?highlight=%28CGL%29