Re: Shouldn't we have more ftp masters ?

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 01:58:45AM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
> > On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:10:00PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
>
> >> Don't _all_ new kernel packages require NEW processing because kernel
> >> packages have the entire version string embedded in the package name
> >> (for good and sound reasons)?
>
> > Kernel package names are only changed on ABI changes, of which new upstream
> > versions are the majority.  There is no reason why the 16th revision of
> > 2.6.16 packages should necessarily require NEW processing.
>
> Hm, I see on further checking that the -2- in my currently installed
> linux-image-2.6.16-2-k7 package is not actually the Debian revision.
>
> I (foolishly?) thought that the package name changed by default and
> intentionally, such that on updates one could always keep the old
> kernel installed until having verified that the new one could boot
> correctly.

This is indeed a nice side-effect, but the primary goal is to ensure that
after an ABI change, all out-of-tree modules are rebuilt, since they won't
work anymore with the new kernel.

In this aspect, it is similar of libraries embedding their sonames.

Friendly,

Sven Luther