Re: Reforming the NM process

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 02:03:10PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Applicants with fast/free internet connections, local mirrors and so
> on can do the bookwork needed for the template questions without much
> pain.  A lot of the questions repeatedly confirm an ability to look
> stuff up and restate it, testing research skills and language skills,
> rather than knowledge.

I'd rather someone knew how to find out the answer, than knew all the
answers to a specific set of questions.  That way when faced with a
question they don't know the answer to they will have a good idea of
where to look or who to ask.

And yes, when faced with the NM templates about what do the maintainer
scripts do I asked my AM of the time if I should just cut & paste back
at him.  I'd be quite surprised if mere mortals can recall all the
arguments the maintainer scripts are called with from memory but doing
so isn't a skill I value at all - rather knowing where to find the
answer is.

Simon.

--
[ "Have you seen a man who's lost his luggage?" -- Suitcase            ]
        Black Cat Networks.  http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/