For those who care about bits from our teams (aka: press and event stuff)

Hi!

In the last debates it was argued, that some teams could need a bit more
transparency:  What they are doing, why and how.  Starting with that
mail I'll try to that for our "pr-team".  I'll try to continue with that
irregulary.

Upcoming events:

Links:
  1: http://www.debian.org/events/2006/0503-linuxtag
  2: http://www.debian.org/events/2006/0514-debconf
  3: http://www.debconf.org/
  4: http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2006/03/msg00004.html

Just ended events:
==================

During the last weeks the Debian project participated in some major
events.

Again Debian was present with a booth and a developer room at this years
FOSDEM [5].  I would like to thank Wouter Verhelst for organizing that
again!  He wrote a bit in his blog [6].  Sumarized it was again a funny
and productive event.  We are all looking forward to next years FOSDEM.
Videos from the talks Debian's DevRoom are available [7] at the
meetings-archive.

Not as big as FOSDEM but worth a honourable mention was this years
Chemnitzer Linux-Tage [8].  The booth of the Debian project was (again)
a success.  While Debian had this year the chance for it's own small
conference track.  Allthough there were some interesting talks (e.g.
backporting, the new-queue, etc.), there are no videos available but
audio recordings from some talks will be available at [9].  Please note
that all the talks and the webpage are in german.
Many thanks to Noèl Köthe for organizing this years booth again!

Last not least I would like to mention that Debian has been at this
years CeBIT [10], too.  Allthough confronted with some smaller problems,
it was again an successfull event for Debian.  Some smaller mistakes
were made, through, so we allready started collecting ideas for next
years CeBIT.  Joerg Jaspert pointed out [11], that he and Alexander
Schmehl were quite successfull getting in contact with potential
sponsors.  Alexander Schmehl promised to write a longer report about
that event soon.

Links:
  5: http://www.debian.org/events/2006/0225-fosdem
  6: http://www.grep.be/blog/en/computer/fosdem/
  7: http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2006/fosdem/
  8: http://www.debian.org/events/2006/0304-linuxtag-chemnitz
  9: http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2006/vortraege/
 10: http://www.debian.org/events/2006/0309-cebit
 11: http://ganneff.de/blog/2006/03/13#cebit2006

Request for speakers / invitations to other events:

Here is a short list of requests / invitations and other mails, we
received to events@d.o and press@d.o.  Most of it has allready been
forwarded to the proper people, but some stuff is still unresolved.
Please take a look at it and get in contact with us, if you think you
can be of help (or know someone who could help us).

- LILiK, a Free Software Lab, was looking for speakers for an convention
  in italy.  The mail was forwarded to the [12] -devel-italien
  mailinglist.  The list showed some activity after that, which I
  couldn't follow due to my lack of knowledge about that language ;)

- A company in turkey asked for permission to use Debian's logo for some
  debian products.  They were pointed to our open use logo and it's
  license, so we can expect some nice swirl t-shirts and mugs in turkey
  in the next weeks.

- Similar for an company from the USA, who liked use Debian's logo
  during the upcoming South Pacific Linux World in Australia.  They are
  still looking for a local contact.  If you are in that area (or plan
  to visit South Pacific Linux World, please get in contact with us.

- Organizers of the C3 Expo asked for some speakers fot their upcoming
  event in NYC.  They especially asked for Ian Murdock for a keynote.
  Luckily Ian has the time and will do it.

- During this years SCALE [13] Debian got asked, if it would like to get
  a booth during the Desktop Linux Summit [14] to be held in late april
  in San Diego.  Sadly Debian lacks the man power to man a full time
  booth during a working week :(
  Heather MacKenzie from the DLS orga team was quite sorry about that,
  but send us a special registration code for Debian volunteers, so they
  can visit that event for free.  Interested people should get in
  contact with me (including a small description about there Debian
  related work).

- Debian got invited to LinuxWorld Conference & Expo Korea, which will
  take place from the 5th to th 7th of Junge in Seoul.  Uhm...
  actually "invited" might be the wrong word, since I'm not sure they
  know that Debian is not a company but a free project... but thinking
  about the experience we made with other LinuxWorld Conferences
  [15][16], I would expect them to have an area for free project ready,
  but I'm not sure (they have a quite useless flash based website! ARG!)
  If you are in that area please feel free to get in contact with us.

Links:
  12: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-italian/2006/03/msg00001.html
  13: http://www.debian.org/events/2006/0211-scale
  14: http://www.desktoplinuxsummit.com/
  15: http://www.debian.org/events/2005/0215-lwe
  16: http://www.debian.org/events/2005/1115-lwe
  17: http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/03/msg00375.html
  18: http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001
  19: http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/debian-announce-2006/msg00000.html

Personal stuff:

A couple of days ago Alexander Schmehl got added to the press@debian.org
to share work load with Joey.  Currently we are discussing the easiest
way to improve and organize publicity work for Debian, which will
hopefully result in Debian mentioned in press more often positively.
Please give us a some time to organize ourself; we are trying our best
and welcome feedback.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander