Re: Private copies of list replies (Was: Re: buildd and experimental)

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 05:22:49AM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> I'm sorry that you cannot remember, but perhaps you could use procmail
> or something similar to make sure that this header is always set
> according to each list policy.  Also, you could set up mutt to do
> different things for different lists, if that's possible (I haven't used
> mutt in a long time, so I don't remember).  Ultimately, it is your
> responsibility as the sender.

I agree in general, but it would also be good for Debian's list software
to express its policy (via the Mail-Followup-To header, of course, not
the Reply-To header).  While I think it's reasonable to expect subscribed
people to remember not to CC replies (it's a good default, except on lists
where people are typically *not* subscribed, like -user help lists), not
everyone posting to Debian lists is subscribed: conversations are often
cross-posted.  Expecting people to investigate the policies of every CC'd
list is unreasonable.

Just as a thought, I wonder if it's possible for the list software to
automatically add an MFT header, if it's missing, indicating that only
people not subscribed to the list, or explicitly in the CC list, should
be CC'd.

--
Glenn Maynard