What is an official sub-project of Debian?

We contacted Branden/DPL about a month ago to seek permission for
Debonaras (Debian On Nas And Routers And Stuff) to become an official
sub-project of Debian.  Branden responded that he was at a conference
and that he'll respond in more detail later; in the meantime, we can
say that we're "seeking status as an official subproject".  Talking to
some other people about sub-projects, they said that that one can
become an official sub-project either through the DPL or
debian-project, but nobody really knew for sure...

At the moment, it's not clear how something becomes an official
sub-project and what this status entails.  I therefore thought that
I'd forward the original message to debian-project so we can have a
discussion about this.  It's not as if Debonaras is the only project
in this situation.  In the past, we have had discussions about
projects which called themselves "official" even though it wasn't very
clear that they were officially endorsed.  In fact, a similar
question was raised just a few days ago regarding an effort to
produce a live CD of Debian [1, 2].

There are a number of questions, such as:
 - What kind of requirements does a project have to be an official
   sub-project?

   In the past, the point was raised that they have to follow the
   constitution of Debian, e.g. be accountable to the DPL or GRs.
   Another question is how many official Debian developers you
   need to have involved to be an official sub-project.  Does the
   project need to use debian.org infrastructure, or can they use
   their own infrastructure?

 - Can sub-projects handle their own finances, and e.g. ask for
   donations (helpful for projects such as Debonaras, which needs
   to buy hardware for their porting efforts).  What about
   accountability?

I'm sure there are lots of other questions.  I hope that we can have a
productive discussion and in the end come up with some guidelines
against which future prospective sub-projects can be measured.

[1] http://blog.philkern.de/archives/134-Re-Debian-Live-Ressources-sic.html
[2] http://blog.daniel-baumann.ch/2006/02/28#20060228_re_debian-live-ressources

* Rod Whitby <rod@whitby.id.au> [2006-01-28 10:05]:

--