Re: Honesty in Debian (was Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

This one time, at band camp, Nathanael Nerode said:
> As it is non-free stuff is squirrelled all over the Debian system.  It
> may be seen as a sort of "retreating", but I'd be so much happier if I
> knew that all non-free stuff was located strictly in the
> usr/share/doc/*/copyright and /usr/share/common-licences/* files, and
> wasn't infecting the rest of the system.

This is a lot of noise for a no-op, AFAICT.  Do you really think that
there is a magical difference depending on where you ship a file?  Or is
this some sort of wedge tactic, intended to make a larger change down
the road more acceptable by making a smaller one now?

[your personal feud with the emacs maintainer snipped]

> So, Debian is being unthruthful to its users.

No, I think the problem is that you have a very strange idea of what we
are promising our users, based on some legalistic, over literal reading
of the SC.  It is clear that everything in Debian cannot be either %100
free or %100 software.  We ship license texts, images, and all sorts of
other things.  If you are unable to read the SC to mean something
sensible, that is frankly your problem.  Incidentally, accusing people
of lying because they have a more sensible interpretation than you is a
strange way to attempt to influence people.