Re: Debian UK

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:01:12AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Henning Makholm (henning@makholm.net) wrote:
> > > Well, there's a BIG similarity:
> > > * both took the debian name for business use without consent;
> > You are pretty much the only one who asserts that Debian UK has
> > anything at all to do with "business".
> I'd have to disagree with this.  It's certainly commercial in what it
> does and that's been frowned upon by DDs for Debian/SPI in the US.

AIUI, that's been frowned upon in the US because actually selling
things makes you liable for collecting/paying sales tax which is a huge
nuisance. Giving stuff away and asking for a donation, meanwhile, doesn't.

Different countries handle that differently. For reference, Australia
allows certain companies to call themselves "charities" for tax purposes;
but they're restricted to very specific purposes, none of which cover
"developing a free operating system to benefit humanity as a whole".

> Also, who exactly is 'the rest of us'?  It certainly doesn't include me
> and I'd claim that it doesn't include anyone but you.

It certainly includes me. Businesses are run for the profit of their
founders, shareholders or members. Debian-UK's run to improve Debian, and
any excess funds are kept around and spent for the organisations stated
aims; at least as far as I can see from the other side of the world.

> If there are
> people who specifically agree with you then let them speak for
> themselves.

How about you do the same, instead of claiming that none of us do?

Cheers,
aj