Re: Debian UK (was Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks)

MJ Ray wrote:
> Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> skribis:
>
>>Em Seg, 2005-09-05 =E0s 12:55 +0100, MJ Ray escreveu:
>>
>>>Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> skribis:

>>>Then no groups would get special consideration from that
>>>clause of my suggestion. What's the problem?
>>
>>The problem is using country-specific definitions for a supra-national
>>organization. The rules applied by Debian to DUS should apply to any
>>other organization in the world.
>

> "Charity" is not country-specific. At the very least, Japan
> (according to JACO) and Canada (CharityVillage) also have
> charities with similar conditions of openness to the UK.
> DUS is not registered as a charity, so just like organisations
> in a country with no "charity" concept, it could use one of
> the other ways I mentioned.
>
> Same rules should apply to all. Agreed?

I'm confused -- were we trying to throw a spanner in the works of the
Debian UK society here, or trying to define a worthwhile trademark policy?

I don't see that migrating a thread that started out as the former is
likely to yield a useful version of the latter.  Can we start again please?

Cheers, Phil.