Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

* Ian Murdock (imurdock@progeny.com) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Uh, my response would be appropriate if Debian *did* have the trademark
> > policy Linus uses for Linux.  It's basically "ask first, get an official
> > submark before using it, or don't use it".
>
> I've had a company called "Progeny Linux Systems" for over five
> years now and have been involved in various other organizations
> through the years which included the name "Linux" (like
> the "Linux Core Consortium"), and I've yet to have
> to ask Linus for permission to use the Linux trademark.

Regardless, the policy which the Linux Mark Institute has published
would say that such companies and organizations would need a license
and official submark from LMI.  It's true that the Linux trademark was
not enforced until more recently but that doesn't mean it's invalid or
that you can assume it's never going to be enforced.  Indeed, the
existance of LMI would seem to indicate exactly the opposite.

I would encourage you to check out:
http://www.linuxmark.org/who_needs.html

	Thanks,

		Stephen