Re: new queue process tweaks

Jeroen Wolffelaar wrote:
> Excuse me?
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/04/msg00997.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/04/msg01029.html

You're excused. I'm not subscribed to debian-devel at present
and you dropped the cc's of the original post. To be fair, I
did write "to the best of my knowledge".

> And, of course ftp-masters know about the packages in NEW, we see it
> *every time* we do NEW processing, for many months. We're not blind or
> something.

Put your flamethrower down or toast me a muffin.

> [...] We could do
> auto-notifications after N weeks, but eh, that strikes me as quite
> pointless.

If that auto-notification contained useful tips for long-staying
NEW packages, I think it could be quite useful and reduce the
impression that it's been uploaded in the wrong way or to the
wrong place. Even better would be averages of processing times
at present, but I expect that's hard and not a predictor.

> mplayer simply isn't the highest priority, anything related
> to sarge release is much more.

That's a shame for mplayer wanters, but hopefully an understandable one.

> Also, as Steve pointed out, regular
> NEW processing was for a few months not done at all until the FTP team
> was expanded with Joerg Jaspert[1] and myself, again a reason why there
> simply was nothing news to report.

Cool to know it.

> While I understand that people like
> to hear something, even if it's just "We didn't do it yet", the majority
> of the FTP team prefers to actually do work in stead of repeating stuff
> that's been said before in mails like this and making one's motivation
> to do something about this issue at hand deminish, seeing how the news
> that *has* recently been posted to the lists is so much appreciated.

It *is* appreciated once it's known. No-one told me before
your email. I'm keeping a web page about one of the most
contentious continued ommissions from debian to try to reduce
these communication problems a little. I've not announced it
to d-d-a yet because I can't from here. Feel free to.

--
MJR/slef
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/mplayer.html