Re: GFDL freedoms

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:22:19PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Nathanael Nerode]
> > Suppose the GCC manual was not licensed for use in essays on the
> > economics of free software.  (It actually provides some great
> > examples of funding methods, and quoting some of the sections on
> > various features to go with the information on how they were funded
> > would be quite useful.) Wham, we lose freedom.  Oh, wait -- it isn't
> > licensed for such use.
>
> As far as I know, quoting is covered within the fair use rights, and
> do not have to be covered by the license to be allowed.  It is covered
> by law.

Again--this has been said before, but perhaps not in a visible enough place:
the concept of "fair use" does not exist in many jurisdictions, and varies
widely in places it does.  (I've heard that it's actually very jurisdiction-
dependent, and that the US's concept of "fair use" is somewhat unusual, but
I don't know any details.)

If a license is only free as a result of "fair use", then it's not free.

--
Glenn Maynard