Re: [rrichards@co.slo.ca.us: Open Letter to Debian Community]

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 05:20:06PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Moved to the proper list (I hope).  Please copy Toby in your
> replies as he is most probably not subscribed.

Thanks Joey.

> ----- Forwarded message from rrichards@co.slo.ca.us -----
> . But Debian needs work. There needs to be
> "master" packages that install all of the required stuff for a given
> complex system and then prompt you to make choices about the addon stuff.

Have you ever used tasksel? This is exactly what you're looking for. Have you
also simply tried 'apt-get install gnome'? These facilities do exist, but the
problem is most likely that they're not even evangelized enough.

Perhaps as a project we need to push these tools more. Heck, we don't even push
aptitude in comparison to apt-get enough. The only way I can see to do this is
to push for better and more centralized documentation (much like how Gentoo
does it) but currently we don't have anyone who's stepped forward to do that
work.

 - David Nusinow