Debian release strategy

Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> wrote:

> * I had recently post a message to debian-project[1] suggesting that we
> could plan structural changes in Debian, I mean, We all know that
> "Debian releases when it's ready", but few people know what the "it"
> means. For example, if the init maintainers decide to define the locale
> environment variables at the boot process, many packages would break
> and then Debian would be far from being ready. I'm not criticizing this
> structural changes, but I do think that the DPL could coordinate this
> sctructural changes in a way more people know what it means by "when
> it's ready". I would like the candidates to comment on this topic.

I think it would be helpful if (in future) the release team would
communicate their list of release criteria well in advance of their
estimated time of release. Having some idea of what needs to be done
before a release will even be considered would make it easier to
maintain motivation - there's been various times during the past 18
months or so where people have voiced incredulity at the idea of us
performing a release at any point in the near future, and that makes it
significantly harder to concentrate on working towards that release.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org