Re: Bits from the DAMs

Goswin von Brederlow dijo [Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:55:43PM +0100]:
> > I don't get it. Do you have a concrete example that makes this necessary?
> > It seems more and more difficult to become member of Debian, which is
> > after all a volonteer-only project. Why trying to more and more discourage
> > people to contribute?
>
> Do you realy think it is difficult to get a second signature onto your
> gpg key? Go to one key-signing party and you get 10 even on a small
> one.

There should be some kind of exemption to this clause, as what you say
does not always hold. Latin America has grown a lot in DD density, as
we now have DDs in mostly every country (although there are important
areas still missing)... But distances are huge. If a prospective DD
lives in Bolivia or Paraguay, he can decide travelling (by land) 3
_days_ to central Argentina or 4 _days_ to central Chile (and, if Rudy
Godoy is approved soon, some 2 days to central Perú) - Air travel just
for a GPG signature is a joke, and most South Americans cannot afford
spending a minimum of about US$500 just for this. The situation in
Africa and Asia is similar or even worse.

This last year I travelled a lot in South America, signed a good deal
of keys, and hope to have contributed enlarging the web of
trust... However, we are still behind what is ideal. When my Colombian
friends Luis Fernando Bustamante and Andrés Roldán were accepted as
DDs, they were not connected to the Debian keyring except by a third
party who had gnu.org signatures, and when I started NM, I had only
their signatures. Not everybody can be expected to live or attend a
conference close to a DD.

We do need a path of trust, of course... But we are humans, and our
processes should have the subjective grain of salt to take these
points into view.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450