Re: New Front Desk members

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:13:12PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo <fenio@debian.org> [2005.01.31.1258 +0100]:
> > By the way. Could we please use "gender" in db.debian.org?

> This is a good idea.

> To address Helen's concern... this is a problem with the English
> language. However, it is only a problem ever since feminists
> identified it as such. 'he' only respresents disrespect of the
> female gender's role if you want it to. I would say that most every
> user reading the documents will not care whether the new maintainer
> is female or male, a talking parrot or a disguising alien, a table
> cloth or a plant. It's a "new maintainer" in the context of the NM
> documents, nothing more and nothing less.

> You have the choice to either bloat every text with the "he or she"
> and "his or her" stuff, or just deal.

If you don't want to get flamed, try to make a point of reading the thread
you're replying to, as using "he or she" was *not* the suggestion of the
woman (which I guess is what you mean by "feminist") who started this
thread.

Onward in the noble fight for singular they,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer