Re: New policy for http://www.debian.org/consultants/

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:24:25PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:41:06PM +0100, Tobias Toedter wrote:
> > 3. Website
> >    If an URL is provided, the consultant must mention their Debian-related
> >    work on the website. The Debian distribution must be mentioned
> >    explicitly, together with a link to www.debian.org.
>
> I do not like that at all.

I agree; it is not appropriate. The purpose of this list is to help our
users find people who are able to help them with Debian on a commercial
basis. This means that it should list those who are able to do that, and
are willing to be listed.

Any "publicity" for the companies there is, frankly, "collateral help".

Where in the Social Contract does it say anything about "seeking publicity"
or "winning over new users"? If and when those aims get in the way of
helping our users and/or free software (as they would here), then they
are inappropriate and should not be pursued.

Personally, I don't recall whether our website mentions debian explicitly
or not. It did plug Free Software last time I contributed to it, and I
might well try to work in plugs for Debian next time it gets rewritten.

But as a condition of being on the consultants list? Given how we go on
about freedom, it's laughable. You can't see the wood for the trees.

Cheers,

Nick