Re: Dealing with drivers that need firmware on the filesystem

vorlon@debian.org wrote:

>True enough.  I have a harder time justifying to myself keeping such drivers
>in main, but I also think that the infrastructure needed in order to support
>grabbing firmware out of non-free (for things like the installer) could
>easily work for the case of contrib driver + non-free firmware as well.
No, because in many situations the users would only need to copy the
firmware binary from media they already have, and installing a package
from a different archive (and even more a new udeb) requires more work
for them and for us.

--
ciao,
Marco