Re: Dealing with drivers that need firmware on the filesystem

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:59:08PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 01:09:10AM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > It's also completely nonsensical that single drivers must go in contrib,
> > but a bundle of drivers may go in main as long as one of those drivers
> > does not use non-free firmware.
>
> No more nonsensical than the fact that code within a program that makes
> optional use of a non-free library can go in main, while a program consisting
> soley of that code must go in contrib.

Of course it is.  If you only rely on package boundaries, you could in
theory move all of contrib into main by bundling it all into a single
package that has at least one completely free component.  That's
ridiculous.

At least a single program is OK to me because it's essentially an
elemental component.  You can't easily break it into smaller pieces.
Likewise, a driver module is an elemental component.

I still think all firmware-using drivers belong in main, but not by the
reasoning that it's only OK if they can all be included in a single
kernel package or something.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!