Re: documentation x executable code

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005, Craig Sanders wrote:
> whether you call it commentary or a patch, it's still a patch and is
> explicitly allowed by the DFSG.

The section of the DFSG to which you are refering is the following:

     4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code

     The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
     modified form _only_ if the license allows the distribution of
     "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying
     the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit
     distribution of software built from modified source code.

The license must allow:

    1) the distribution of "patch files" for the purpose of modifying
       the work at build time

    2) the modified form built from the patched work to be
       distributed

These conditions are not satisfiable for GFDLed documentation with
invariant sections.

Furthermore, even if we were to ignore the requirement of DFSG 4 for
the distribution of software built from modified source code, the
"patch file"[1] would include bits of the original source as context,
which is also not allowed for the invariant sections of a GFDLed
work.[2]

Don Armstrong

1: Obviously alluding to a patch(1) (or similar) style patch file that
can be applied in an automated fashion, as opposed to mere commentary.

2: Fair use concerns enter in here, of course, but they are not
sufficient remedy because many jurisdictions to not possess them.

--
I don't care how poor and inefficient a little country is; they like
to run their own business.  I know men that would make my wife a