Re: Debian and wireless networking

[ Cc'ing because I guess from the question that J.B. isn't subscribed to
the list ]

su, 2005-12-18 kello 14:13 -0500, Jean Bouffard kirjoitti:
> I have been looking for a distribution of linux that would fit my
> needs. But recently I've now been looking for a distribution that will
> function with my network card. I have a D-Link, DWL-G510, and I'm
> having much difficulty getting anywhere with it.
>
> So before I go and download Debian to see if I can get it to work,
> could you just tell me if it will work or not?

I don't know if it will work or not. Unfortunately, given just the name
and model of a wireless network card is not always enough to know that.
The manufacturers keep changing radically the internals of the cards
without changing the model name or number. Version 1.0 of a card might
have one chipset that works, and version 2.0 another chipset altogether
that doesn't work (this happened to me with a 3Com card).

(The situation with wired network cards is better: you can pretty much
assume that any of them works with Linux.)

The page
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=357&question=General%
20Wireless does not list any open source driver for the card, which
might mean that one doesn't exist at all, and so you'll be out of luck.
There might be a proprietary driver, but that won't be part of Debian,
which concentrates on freedom.

--
On IRC, we sometimes like to watch silence.