Re: Automated testing - design and interfaces

Bill Allombert writes ("Re: Automated testing - design and interfaces"):
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 12:08:25PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > maintainer didn't really test the package after installing it because
> > it was too much trouble.  If it can be standardised and automated, and
> > if a way can be found for Ubuntu to share tests with Debian, then
> > everyone wins.
>
> piuparts is a first answer to that: it allows maintainer to check that
> their package will install, remove and upgrade in a clean environnement.

Yes, and piuparts is a good thing.  But, it doesn't allow the
maintainer to easily test that their package _works_.  We currently
rely on the developer doing some ad-hoc testing.  This can easily be
improved.

> > > If Ubuntu want to improve the testing coverage, you could start by
> > > submitting patches to packages that don't run test-suite in
> > > debian/rules. That would profit both Debian and Ubuntu and there are
> > > lot of work to do there.
> >
> > Running the upstream test suite in debian/rules usually isn't the
> > answer to packaging mistakes, library mismanglements, and the like.
>
> There is no reason to restrict debian/rules to upstream test-suite?

Yes, that's true.  But I thought you meant that we should submit
patches to make packages run the upstream test suite (if any) in
debian/rules.

If that's not what you meant I'm afraid I don't follow you.  Can you
explain what you meant ?

Ian.