Re: Screenshots

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 00:54, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:25:38PM +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > Nico Golde schrieb am Montag, den 04. Juli 2005:
> > > Hello Andrew,
> > >
> > > * Andrew Karppinen <akarppinen@cox.net> [2005-07-04 21:47]:
> > >
> > > Because debian isn't a desktop system.
> >
> > Of course its a desktop, its all. So we are not able to provide
> > representable screenshots, because Debian looks as YOU want it, not as
> > somebody else thought. You imagine it, you can do it. With debian is
> > everything possible, so we have no "standard" Design like other
> > distributions.
>
> I don't see how that precludes us from showing how a potential user could
> make it look...

The question is, I suppose, how to choose what ``Debian looks like''.
Neither GNOME, KDE, Fluxbox, WMaker nor FVWM are default window managers, so
choosing any one would be to discriminate the others. Right?

Of course it would be possible to create some nifty eyecandy, but that really
shouldn't be a reason to choose Debian. That should be a reason to choose the
package in Debian which delivered the eyecandy, whether that be FVWM, KDE or
anything else.

Debian is a distribution, and as such delivers its package repositories and
its packaging system. In my humble opinion, one really can't brag about the
work of others.

Regards, Anders Breindahl.