just a little confused

I'm a little confused about the release of Sarge, or rather one of the
support/non-supported architectures.  I seem to recall annoucements that
X86-64 support had been officially added to the Debian Architectures,
yet the release announced on Distrowatch for Debian X86-64 states
"unofficial"

So, I decided to look around on Debian.org to see if there was any
official statement listed on the status of X86-64. I must be blind, but
I can't find anything.

So what is the status of X86-64? Is it an officially supported
Architecture, or is not?

je.saist