New Maintainers

This is a summary of the AM report for Week Ending 3 Apr 2005.
4 applicants became maintainers.

Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe>

  I'm a full-time student and a part-time entrepeneur. My decision to
  start using GNU/Linux and free software was a conscious choice. After
  switching from the Amiga family of computers, I had used another famous
  and popular operating system. In less than two years I had become so
  frustrated with it that I decided to switch to something that I could
  gain more control and understanding of. Within one year, I had found
  ways to do what I needed using a Linux-based system. Since that time,
  I've learned more than I thought was possible by just looking at how the
  system works. My choice to switch from my major subject of mass
  communication at the University of Helsinki to computer science was
  fueled by this, and by the fact that I had had the opportunity to start
  my own company based on my knowledge.

  So my experience is both theoretical and practical. The primary reason
  for wanting to join the Debian Project is that I would like to give
  something in return for the valuable software that Debian has provided
  -- software that my business or my studies could not have existed
  without, and could not continue to exist without. Also, the spirit of
  free software constantly reminds me that there are some important values
  to be remembered in both personal and business transactions.

  My initial intentions for Debian work is to package some useful software
  and help doing QA and documentation work. Also, finding connections
  between software packages and enabling them to work better in
  combination with each other is a longer-term goal for me. For instance,
  having a large set of packages that can make use of LDAP out of the box
  would make Debian an even more attractive system to use. On the more
  philosophical side, I believe my experience with deploying Debian in
  small business settings may prove useful.

Filippo Giunchedi <godog>

  I am a 20 years old student of computer science at university of
  Bologna, Italy.  I started using free software about three years ago
  after hearing Linux from a friend. I started from SuSE and after trying
  many distributions I found Debian to be the one with best infrastructure
  and goals. I strongly believe in open source and free software (although
  they are slightly different) and I think it's worth to volunteer my time
  for Debian and other projects. For Debian I would like to do QA work and
  better understanding the underlying infrastructure (BTS, PTS, dak,
  etc) and indeed packaging free software which is worth for users.

Mattias Wadenstein <maswan>

  My relevant background here is the one from the Academic Computer Club at
  Umeå University where I have been a member of the team taking care of that
  mixed Debian and Unix enviroment since 1998, since a few years back I also
  work as a sysadmin at HPC2N, the local supercomputing center which also
  runs Debian on all x86 hardware[1].

  Through ACC I have been involved in running the mirror ftp.acc.umu.se,
  which is also known as ftp.se.debian.org and it has been as a mirror admin
  I have seen most of my involvement in Debian as a project. For the last
  year or two I have been the main maintainer of cdimage.debian.org and
  syncproxy2.eu.debian.org.

  Lately I have been involved in the amd64 port as the latest cluster at
  work in of that architecture (yes, we currently have an unofficial port of
  sid in production use), but it is as maintainer of cdimage.debian.org and
  related work that lead me to the NM process.

  [1]: Not striclty true, the tape library manager in the tape robot is an
  x86 system running OS/2, but that's not our fault. :)

Adrian von Bidder <cmot>

  I've been using Linux since 1995 and have progressed from DLD to Debian via
  SuSE and RedHat. I came to Debian a few months before woody was released
  (and have never looked back since), and have stopped using Windows about 3
  or 4 years ago.

  I've been toying with applying for NM for quite a long time, but since all
  software I used alwasys was packaged and quite well-maintained, the
  incentive was always a bit lacking. Finally, with postgrey, I found a
  package where I was faster than everybody else with packaging.

  My main areas of interest are email, GnuPG and NTP. Toolchains, issue
  tracking and version control systems and many other topics also interest me
  but I haven't don any substantial work in these areas lately. In the near
  future, Linux in the enterprise (server and desktop) will be an important
  part of my $DAYJOB, and I hope that I can do at least part of my work as a
  DD there.

Marc
--
$_=')(hBCdzVnS})3..0}_$;//::niam/s~=)]3[))_$(rellac(=_$({pam(esrever })e$.)4/3*
)e$(htgnel+23(rhc,"u"(kcapnu ,""nioj ;|_- |/+9-0z-aZ-A|rt~=e$;_$=e${pam tnirp{y