Re: Small teams and other platform positions...

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> The Vancouver Prospectus, SCUD and "small teams" have given me pause for
> thought. On the surface, it seems that there cannot be much wrong with
> Debianers gathering together physically to talk and make decisions about the
> direction of the operating system. I personally had the good fortune to
> attend DebConf in Puerto Alegre and very much enjoyed meeting people, having
> drinks and all the other fine things that come from face-to-face meetings.
> Without a doubt, communication is much more fluid and productive in such a
> context.
>
> However, I have grave concerns about placing emphasis on face-to-face
>  meetings as a methodology for moving the project forward. Could we
>  accidentally create a "two class" society in the process?

We already have a two class society.  (But TINC...yet)

>. Create several "key gatherings" a year and only a "professional
>  Debianer"  will be able to keep up.

This is already the case even with (or probably because of) electronic
communication.

Instead we should recognize and formalize the reality of these two
classes.  Being a "second class citizen" DD ought not to be a stigma but a
simple recognition of how much one is actually able to contribute.

It should be easy for people to jump into Debian for a few months and jump
out.  Maybe they could do it repeatedly if they felt like it.  The
structure to do this would involve both electronic and real life bits.

> It is fun to meet in person. We should have big parties, big dinners, chances
> to get to know each other, make friends and have a drink. But let's try to
> make sure that attending such meetings never become a requirement for
> participation. That will kill something central to what we are.

Face-to-face meetings provide higher bandwidth for discussions and people
are less likely to flame or mistrust those have actually talked to and
socialized with.  (And reducing flames would in itself do wonders for
Debian efficiency.)

> The world of politics between humans is well explored. It runs your
>  government and your business. I put it to you that "small groups" doesn't
>  add up to "loving relationships". In general, it leads to war.

Well I happen to believe constant low-intensity warfare between small,
mutually suspicious tribes is the optimum environment for liberty but
that's another discussion.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>