Re: Why does Debian distributed firmware not need to be Depends: upon? [was Re: LCC and blobs]

El dg 09 de 01 del 2005 a les 18:25 +0200, en/na Lars Wirzenius va
escriure:
> su, 2005-01-09 kello 16:52 +0100, Miguel Gea Milvaques kirjoitti:
> > Then if software as xpdf could be in main, software loading firmware
> > must be in main.
>
> Without commenting on the issue otherwise: This is not a working
> analogy. xpdf can load any PDF file.

Yes it can read ONLY files with pdf format, it can't read (as
example) .xls, as happen in device drivers, it ONLY can read firmware
designed for that device, and not for other devices.

>  Device drivers can, typically, only
> load firmwares that are specific to the device in question, and the only
> existing firmwares for the devices tend to be non-free.

Why tend to be non-free? I could think that pdf tend to be always
non-free. It can exist free pdf as could exist free firmware.

--
Miguel Gea Milvaques <debian@miguelgea.com>
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/xerakko/