Re: documentation x executable code

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:17:41, Dale E. Martin wrote:
> > it doesn't matter whether these things are specifically forbiden by a
> > license or not, because they are either unethical or illegal or both,
> > anyway.
>
> Exactly, hence invariants seem unnecessary.  They also feel non-free to me
> but I'm still listening to the debate.
>
> > claiming that the GFDL is non-free doesn't make it so.  if you make a
> > claim, the onus is on you to prove it.
>
> You keep claiming invariants (and the other issues which seem to be
> considered secondary) are necessary for documentation even though they
> don't seem to be for source code.  The onus is on you to defend this
> position in this debate.  (Bonus points for doing it without calling anyone
> names.)  If you've already explained this elsewhere a link or cut and paste
> is fine with me.
>
> > we already allow invariant sections in software (particularly software
> > license texts and copyright notices etc) so it's not as if this is some
> > amazingly new and unprecedented exception just for the GFDL - it's a
> > practical necessity to enable us to do our work of producing and
> > distributing a free software distribution.
>
> Copyright notices are a special case.  Where else are there invariants?
> There's the "practical necessity" assertion again.  Why is it necessary?

I can't see any good reason for a discussion of politics, or anything
else that might be marked "invariant", to be put in a software
manual.  The GNU Manifesto, while it may or may not be an important
document, has no reason that I can see for being part of the Emacs
manual.  Software manuals are (as far as I am aware) for technical
documentation, not political debate.

--
 -Benjamin A'Lee

Termisoc Secretary: http://www.termisoc.org/