Re: License of old GNU Emacs manual

El mar, 04-01-2005 a las 19:50 -0500, Glenn Maynard escribió:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:12:42AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > We can provide the logo under a free copyright license but fairly strict
> > trademark license. A restrictive copyright license prevents legitimate
> > modifications as well, which isn't what we want.
> It's not clear whether a work which is affected by a "strict" trademark
> license is DFSG-free.  I don't think much headway has ever been made
> on figuring out how trademarks and the DFSG interact, probably because
> there hasn't been much need (the logos clearly havn't been sufficient).
> I suspect the Mozilla issue may make that happen, though.

  But trademarks are strict and not free by default. If I can use a
trademark to name my own products when they don't belong to me, it is no
longer a trademark.

  If formulae for Coca-Cola were GPL, I could make my own coke and also
distribute it, but I don't think I could use the name Coca-Cola in the
market and the glass bottle.

  And that is something that will happen with every trademark, as
trademark law is quite different from copyright one.

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo