Re: FW: Mail forwarding in return for Debian donation

Pete van der Spoel wrote:
> > We don't have any use for money right now. What we have
> > mostly just sits in a bank account getting slowly devalued by
> > inflation. So fund raising exercises aren't really a good idea.
>
> Oh. Okay at least I don't have to feel bad about using Debian and not
> contributing, but I have to say I find this very strange. Surely Debian has
> developers that would love to spend more time working on Debian than on
> their day-jobs, but don't do so because they need to pay the rent etc?

This cannot be changed by donating money to Debian affiliated charitable
organisations, but only by companies hiring people for doing Debian work
and hiring those companies.

> And what about Debian itself making a donation to for example FSF Europe?

This would be greatly appreciated.  The FSF Europe probably uses more money
than Debian does and is in need of more money than Debian, simply because
the FSF is working quite differently.  If you look at the FSFE pages there
you'll also get some direct benefit back when donating a certain amount to
this association.

> We're still in the process of trying to fight off the evil software patents
> over here! (although I can't personally vouch for the activities of FSF
> Europe, I suspect the money would be well spent there). Surely there are
> shared interests here, better than letting it devalue.

It would.

However, if you want to particularly spend money on anti patents initiative
you may want to look at www.FFII.de/org/or.uk.  That's the association that
- usually in connection with the FSFE - works on anti-patent matters.

Regards,

	Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.   Paul Erdös